It’s back to school time and with everyone talking about their what to pack and how to get back in the swing of things, I thought I would talk about how to make this time fun even if your preschooler never stopped going to school. If you are like us and have a preschooler who attends an all day place, meaning the first half is school and second half daycare, then your kid probably never stopped going to school during the summer. But learning about the seasons and schooltime is part of preschool and making this time special for your preschooler is important. I know for me I like Aiden to feel like he is special like the big kids he knows. And I want him to think of preschool as regular school. So here are a few back to school tips for your family from ours.
1. Get back to a strict bedtime routine. I know we let Aiden get away with a little more during the summer with regards to bedtime. We have weekday movie nights, and general stay up later time so to help get him ready for fall, I go back to strict bedtime the second week in August.
2. Do some shopping. Even if they don’t need it for school, take them to get supplies for the new school year. I took Aiden to WalMart or Target and picked out some new crayons, paper, workbooks, etc. And I even let him get a new backpack. So fun right?
3. If you pack a lunch I have found the Sassy divider baby feeder is perfect for toddler bento style lunch kits. And at only 5.95 it’s much cheaper then most kids lunch kits. I make Aiden a sandwich and cut into a shape and place in the main compartment. Inside there are smaller containers and I fill those with goldfish crackers, fruit, pretzels, yougurt, you get the idea. I use a spiderman thermos lunch bag for Aiden and it all fits in there with a boxed drink.
4. Plan the work and work the plan. Ok I go to work way before Aiden is up and can go to school so my hubs takes him. Well as great as he is there is no way he can get things together enough in the morning to do this himself. So I plan the days I am packing Aidens lunch and I do it the night before. I leave a post it on the door to remind them to grab the lunch. Anytime he has to take anything to school I pack it all the night before and set it by the door so its ready to go. I also calendar all events and days he needs his lunch on a magnetic calendar on the fridge so I see it everyday and can plan ahead.
5. Invest in some magazine file holders. I keep them on the counter in the kitchen where everyone walks by and throws their stuff. Each one is labeled with one of our names and as soon as I walk in I put the stuff in our folders. Even the mail. I never have time to read the mail right away or put Aidens school papers away as soon as I walk in but if I file it I can get to it before bed time.
6. Go school clothes shopping. Now this doesn’t have to be a big thing but Aiden loves to shop for anything. He is kind of spoiled that way. So I am planning on taking him this weekend to one of our favorite stores that is having a HUGE back to school sale. I figure he is going to need some stuff as the weather changes and I need to take advantage of the sale.
7. I am learning that mornings are so busy with 2 kids to manage that I need to plan for all of us quick and easy things to eat. So on Sunday’s I make something that we can eat as a breakfast on the go item or a snack after school. Like granola bars, muffins, cereal bars, etc. I make enough to last the whole week and set out in a jar on the island. This way it’s accessible and gets eaten no matter what.
8. Create a nightly to do list. I don’t know about you but after the kids go to bed, that’s when my work really begins. I pick up and clean and do whatever needs to get done. But this is posted on a dry erase board on my fridge and is called my daily 5. The 5 things I do every night before bed without fail. Ok so almost every night, sometimes I am just too damn tired! Here are mine but of course you can tailor it to your needs.
Pick up main living spaces
wipe down bathrooms
do one load of laundry from start to finish
organize papers and plan tomorrow.
That’s all I have. Sorry it’s not a complete top 10 or anything but it’s preschool and only our second year so that’s all I got folks! Hope it helps.