Last night I completed my 11th Holiday set up at Starbucks. We do this at closing and it usually takes 4 hours which means we are there until almost opening time! But it is so worth it. To play elf to all my wonderful customers and partners and transform our store from everyday cafe to winter wonderland is priceless. But I like, and this year, needed a little inspiration to get me in the mood. I also wanted to thank my partners burning the midnight oil, literally midnight, with me. I didn’t have enough cocoa on hand to make a cake from scratch but thanks to my Betty crocker app I found a quick and easy way to use the box of German chocolate cake mix sitting in my pantry. So here is the recipe for Red velvet cupcakes with peppermint cream cheese frosting and candy cane sprinkles:
1 box of German chocolate cake mix
1/2 c mayonaise or oil
1 1/3 c water
1 tbsp of baking cocoa
1 bottle of red food coloring or gel
2 pkgs of cream cheese softened
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
3 tsp of peppermint
4 candy canes broken and in a baggie
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with liners. I always spray the inside of my liners just a bit to ensure a clean pull away of my cupcake. I use just regular baking spray.
2. Beat all the cake ingredients for 30 seconds on low then switch I add the food coloring an beat fir another minute on high.
3. Divide into baking cups and bake 10 min for mini cupcakes and 13-15 min for regular sized cupcakes.
4. While they are baking beat cream cheese and sugar, adding a little at a time. I always taste as I go to ensure it’s not too sweet. Add vanilla and peppermint extracts and beat til fluffy. Again I taste after each tsp because I like to keep a little of that sour flavor from the cream cheese.
5. Next I load frosting into piping bag and start piping the frosting on once cupcakes are completely cooled.
6. I smash the broken candy canes with a rolling pin to break into bite sized pieces. Andes makes candy cane bits for baking but I used what I had on hand. Then sprinkle cupcakes with smashed candy canes and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy:)